Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mr. Karma

The Wall Street Journal is reporting today that former Vice President, Dick Cheney underwent major heart surgery where a small pump was placed next to his shrunken, evil heart. The operation was conducted at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute just  outside of Washington, D.C.

“A few weeks ago, it became clear that I was entering a new phase of the disease when I began to experience increasing congestive heart failure. After a series of recent tests and discussions with my doctors, I decided to take advantage of one of the new technologies available,” - Cheney said.

The implant is usually used to help a failing heart until a heart transplant is needed.

*** My Thoughts ***

As the WSJ reported this device is usually used to keep a person alive until they can get a transplant. I'm not sure this is the case with Cheney. He may be getting the device to prolong his miserable life. But if he is looking for a transplant here are my thoughts:

Cheney is 69 years old and no matter how much I despise him - no one over the age of 65 should be getting a precious heart transplant. I know everyone wants to live as long as possible. I understand the feeling. But the amount of time, resources and unavailability of organs prohibit someone as old and frail as Cheney from getting one.

This is more suitable for a younger and healthier candidate. Cheney has lived a fulfilled life - granted it was full of evil deeds. There are many people who have not had the chance.

Even if he did get a transplant how long would he be expected to live - ten more years at most is my guess.

If you want to know why our healthcare is so expensive, it's because we foolishly spend very expensive treatment on people who it won't improve their condition for a long period of time.

Bad karma prohibits me from commenting further


0 comments:

Post a Comment